You are here
Expert Tip Monday: Sparkling Pool Maintenance Tips
Driving around Atlanta this past weekend, I saw more and more towel-wrapped kids with wet hair waddling down the sidewalks. This is the cutest, surest signal that the Atlanta pool season is back!
So we asked pool maintenace expert and Brand Manager of BioGuard Joe DeFuria to give our readers a few helpful reminders on how to generally maintain your pool and keep it in tip-top shape this summer.
Summer means time to get back to the great outdoors with backyard cookouts and entertaining. If you own a swimming pool, it also means creating fun backyard memories with friends and family in the water.
As one of the nation’s premier suppliers of pool and spa products, we here at BioGuard know that nobody wants to host a barbecue next to anything less than clear, sparkling water. Following a few essentials of pool maintenance can help ensure a more enjoyable swimming and backyard entertaining season.
- Make waves. Constant water movement helps prevent bacteria and algae from growing and ensures that the pool sanitizer is evenly distributed throughout the entire pool. Circulating pool water during the day for at least 12 hours helps the filter catch debris.
- Check that filter. Backwash filters periodically and chemically clean filters a minimum of twice a season.
- Scrub-a-dub. Brush and vacuum pool walls once a week, even if you use an automatic pool cleaner or hire a service.
- Test the waters. Every pool needs to be tested for the correct pH and sanitizer levels every week. Have a thorough later analysis performed by a trained BioGuard dealer every month.
- Keep that water treatment going. The right water treatment plan will both maintain pool equipment and keep the water inviting. For instance, a good sanitizer line will prevent corrosion and metal staining, protecting pool equipment and investment for longer life.
Editor's Note: By the way, I took a look at their website and was pretty impressed. Not only do they offer fun online "bellyflop" games but they provide all kinds of neat planting advice and even pool fitness routines. If you have a pool in the Greater Atlanta area, check out their fun site.